Universal Networks International is one of the world’s premier entertainment networks reaching 150 million viewers in 130 countries across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America and Asia. Our best-known channels are Syfy, Dreamworks, Universal, Studio, 13th Street, E! International, Movies 24 and Diva and we are constantly acquiring new channels and content companies.
We produce movie franchises such as Jurassic World, Mamma Mia, Despicable Me, Pitch Perfect, The Fast and the Furious and How to Train Your Dragon, and we bring popular US shows to international TV screens: Amongst them are high quality US drama series such as NCIS, CIS, Law & Order and Suits as well as classics such as Murder She Wrote, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly and Star Trek.
Our teams are spread all over the globe with our main international hubs located in London, Singapore, Miami and Los Angeles. Our vibrant UK headquarter is located on the state-of-the-art Osterley campus which we share with our sister company Sky. On site facilities include a 200-seater cinema, a high end full equipped gym with close to 100 classes on offer, 17 different places to eat, on site supermarket, hair salon, barber’s and nail bar.
The Media Technology Group is responsible for the strategy, architecture, technical implementation, ongoing development as well as maintenance and support of the technical solutions in place within International Media Operations.
These solutions range from channel management and ad sales systems (Landmark / Mydas) to a media management workflow engine (built in-house), media delivery servers (Aspera) and an enterprise service bus (BizTalk) for integration with various NBC Universal systems (e.g. Mediator MAM) as well as third party playout and distribution systems. The Media Technology team is also responsible for providing the post production technical facilities for both TV and Film customers.
We strongly believe in working Agile and Lean though are still in the early stages of our journey towards effectiveness through greater collaboration and reducing waste by shedding unnecessary process.
• The Lacuna Squad is predominantly responsible for the design, development, testing, deployment and support of the 24x7 Lacuna application which is a media operations workflow and data management system that integrates with other broadcast applications such as scheduling and media management systems.
• We do expect our team members to be multi-skilled and therefore some database work and BizTalk ESB development will also be a regular part of the role.
• The Junior Software Engineer will be expected to deliver high quality code that adheres to departmental coding standards, agreed architectural and solution design.
CORE SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• The ability to grasp the underlying business requirements and turn them into effective and reliable technical solutions that excite and delight our user base
• Experience in developing with the Microsoft technology stack
• Commercial experience of C# / .Net Framework
• Exposure to automated testing (one or more of Unit Testing, Spec Testing, TDD, BDD)
• Exposure to Controller, Model, Service Layer, MCP, C# and Entity framework
• Exposure to WCF web services web services, C# Windows services
• Knowledge of programming with MS SQL Server and database manipulation
• Knowledge of application development and cyber security best practice, source code management, automated testing and continuous integration
• Understand and apply sound unit as well as end-to-end integration testing, exception and error handling
• Actively maintain own knowledge of new and upcoming technologies and of software engineering best practice
• Understanding of the Agile methodology and Scrum in particular
• Understanding of software development practices (SOLID, design patterns)
• Good written and spoken English
• Degree in Computer Science and/or relevant Microsoft Certification (MCAD.NET/MCSD.NET)
• Experience implementing and maintaining .Net based applications in a commercial environment
WHO YOU ARE
• A passionate software engineer who cares about building maintainable, readable, testable software that solves real user problems.
• A dedicated lifelong learner who is always looking for new things to learn and try.
• A professional engineer who loves getting their hands dirty in designing, analysing and troubleshooting large software systems.
• An excellent communicator who builds collaborative relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• A resourceful self-starter with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, tenacious in sticking with a problem until it is resolved once and for all
• A great team player but you can work on your own initiative as well.
• You are always actively looking for ways to improve our services and taking personal ownership for the quality of the services we offer.
• You believe in personal accountability, owning the decisions and mistakes that you make.
• You believe in the values and demonstrate the behaviours we at NBC Universal have decided to live by.