Requisition Number: 1910116
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is building a Digital Product & Technology team to support its mission of great journalism in the city of Atlanta. We are focused on building great consumer experiences to keep our community connected and informed. We expect each member of our team to constantly keep our readers top of mind, and to innovate how to deliver the most engaging news and experiences on all platforms.
How We Work
We believe in agile, self-organizing and performing engineering scrum teams that have a strong understanding of the business needs and the skill sets to deliver solutions iteratively and incrementally. All our team members are empowered to collaborate and innovate, bringing new ideas to the table and encouraged to ask tough questions while engaged in data-driven debate. We all work cooperatively within cross-functional teams and across departments and use our expertise to guide and support our teammates in service of the AJC’s overall mission.
The Product Owner (PO) is a lead member of the digital consumer products delivery team and is responsible for both defining and prioritizing the team backlog so that the delivery team achieves the organization’s product priorities. The PO works daily with a team of application developers and QA to construct innovative software solutions. The Product Owner is responsible for working closely with the rest of the Product & Technology team and with colleagues across departments to ensure that product vision, roadmap, marketing and the backlog are all in alignment.
• Collaborates with the Sr. Manager of Digital Consumer Systems and other members of the product delivery team to drive product strategy, design, innovation and overall product direction.
• Understand the product vision and evaluate various approaches to implement effective solutions.
• Drive innovation by translating thoughts and ideas into tangible product requirements in the form of features, epics and user stories.
• The PO builds, prunes, prioritizes and maintains the product backlog.
• Serve as the customer proxy and is responsible for working with Product Management to ensure that the Team Backlog is aligned with the program priorities.
• Works closely with Software Engineers to ensure key architectural roadmap items are woven into the product backlog
• Defines stories that meet the objectives of the features within the Business Backlog
• Actively participates in iteration planning, including the coordination of dependencies with stakeholders and other members of the Product & Technology team
• Prioritizes and maintains the sprint backlog and performs just-in-time story elaboration with the implementation team.
• Reviews and accepts completed stories with a focus on product quality.
• Review/demonstrate sprint related or general functionality with external stakeholders and customers.
• Consistently manage stakeholder expectations.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Sales or Marketing, or equivalent work experience
• 2+ years of experience as a Product Owner, Business Analyst, Product Manager, or in a field related to product delivery.
• Knowledge of development lifecycle methodologies (Agile, Kanban, and/or Scrum preferred)
• Welcomes solving problems with a positive attitude, teamwork and innovation.
• An effective and persuasive communicator (written, verbal, presentation, e-mail, etc.), who is skilled at leading meetings and making presentations within all areas of the company.
• Highly collaborative and comfortable with both high-level planning and tactical execution.
• Experience gathering and writing formal business/functional/technical requirements, documentation, creating mock-ups, etc. including a solid understanding of financial metrics and analytics.
• Unique blend of business and technical savvy skills, a big picture vision and the drive to make that vision a reality.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with lots of moving parts where information, resources, and priorities can change quickly and where information must be readily digested and decisions made expeditiously.
• Strong customer and user intuition.
• You pay attention to details and take great pride in your work.
• You proactively identify project, people and organizational problems and provide well-thought-out solutions to them.