Requisition Number: 1910131
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is building a Digital Product & Technology team to support its mission of great journalism in the city of Atlanta. We are focused on building great consumer experiences to keep our community connected and informed. We expect each member of our team to constantly keep our readers top of mind, and to innovate how to deliver the most engaging news and experiences on all platforms.
How We Work
We believe in agile, self-organizing and highly performant teams that have a strong understanding of the business needs and the skill sets to deliver solutions iteratively and incrementally. All our team members are empowered to collaborate and innovate, bringing new ideas to the table and encouraged to ask tough questions while engaged in data-driven debate. We all work cooperatively within cross-functional teams and across departments and use our expertise to guide and support our teammates in service of the AJC’s overall mission.
We are seeking Technical Product Managers with focus in each of the following digital product areas: Content, Revenue, Email & Push Marketing, and Social & Search. Each Technical Product Manager is responsible for understanding and improving the overall health of our digital business as it relates to their area of focus. They will be supported by Data Integration Engineers to help them aggregate and reconcile data from multiple sources.
The Technical Product Manager for Revenue is the Product Manager and Technical leader for advertising, subscriptions, account management, and revenue data.
The Technical Product Manager for Content is the Product Manager and Technical leader for content creation, including CMS, video player & video management, special projects, and web-to-print workflow.
The Technical Product Manager for Email & Push Marketing is the Product Manager and Technical leader for email and push marketing platforms, including email templates, native and web push infrastructure, open rates, native app adoption, related integrations & data.
The Technical Product Manager for Social & Search is the Product Manager and Technical leader for social and search platforms, including open graph, AMP standards, and referral traffic from these important platforms.
Successful candidates will have a unique blend of technical, business and marketing savvy. They should have some background in a technical field or as a business analyst or specialist in their area of focus. In their area, they will identify opportunities, and translate those opportunities into product requirements or into best practices to be shared with their colleagues in the newsroom, sales, marketing, and/or consumer revenue teams.
• Take ownership of KPIs and evangelize for winning strategies to move the needle on performance within your area of focus
• Work with other product management teams et al. to ensure alignment and rapid consumption of services released
• Understand and analyze market offerings and competitor capabilities
• Ensure product marketing, marketing & channel and strategic partners have all relevant product information to launch products and updates successfully
• Act as the go to person for all product, roadmap, and data information needs related to your area of focus
• Engage with external parties (vendors, business partners) from the product and technology perspective.
• Translate market requirements into technical requirements for engineering teams
• Collaborate with members of the product delivery team to drive product strategy, design, innovation and overall product direction.
• Understand the product vision and evaluate various approaches to implement effective solutions.
• Drive innovation by translating thoughts and ideas into tangible product requirements in the form of features, epics and user stories.
• Actively participates in iteration planning, including the coordination of dependencies
• Review/demonstrate data, analysis, or general functionality with external stakeholders and customers.
• Consistently manage stakeholder expectations.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Sales or Marketing, or equivalent work experience
• 4+ years of experience as a Specialist in your area of focus, or as a Developer, Product Owner, Business Analyst, Product Manager, or in a field related to product delivery, or any combination thereof.
• You’re comfortable working with and analyzing data and drawing insights to inform and educate your teammates in service of your shared overall mission.
• Welcomes solving problems with a positive attitude, teamwork and innovation.
• An effective and persuasive communicator (written, verbal, presentation, e-mail, etc.), who is skilled at leading meetings and making presentations within all areas of the company.
• Highly collaborative and comfortable with both high-level planning and tactical execution.
• Experience gathering and writing formal business/functional/technical requirements, documentation, creating mock-ups, etc. including a solid understanding of financial metrics and analytics.
• Unique blend of business and technical savvy skills, a big picture vision and the drive to make that vision a reality.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with lots of moving parts where information, resources, and priorities can change quickly and where information must be readily digested and decisions made expeditiously.
• Strong customer and user intuition.
• You pay attention to details and take great pride in your work.
• You proactively identify project, people and organizational problems and provide well-thought-out solutions to them.