Requisition Number: 1910141
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is building a Digital Product & Technology team to support its mission of great journalism in the city of Atlanta. We are focused on building great consumer experiences to keep our community connected and informed. We expect each member of our team to constantly keep our readers top of mind, and to innovate how to deliver the most engaging news and experiences on all platforms.
How We Work
We believe in agile, self-organizing and performing engineering scrum teams that have a strong understanding of the business needs and the skill sets to deliver solutions iteratively and incrementally. All our team members are empowered to collaborate and innovate, bringing new ideas to the table and encouraged to ask tough questions while engaged in data-driven debate. We all work cooperatively within cross-functional teams and across departments and use our expertise to guide and support our teammates in service of the AJC’s overall mission.
The AJC is seeking a hands-on design leader to define UX strategy and lead design for digital products across mobile, web, and embedded user experiences. As a member of the Product & Technology leadership team you will be responsible for digital product UX vision and UI design, driving creative leadership across product teams, and building partnerships and collaborations across the organization to deliver great work and outcomes for our customers, brand and business. Without a dedicated team, you will also be responsible for managing a freelance budget and recruiting and maintaining a stable of freelance designers.
• Defining UX strategy and UI design for consumer and pro-installer focused mobile, web and embedded applications, services and systems.
• Leading/guiding multiple teams of designers across our global studios to deliver great digital product UX
• Partnering with product marketing and engineering leaders to deliver great product, improve workflow process and efficiency, and deliver world-class user experiences.
• Ensuring design solutions are defined in context of business and user goals.
• Collaborating with cross-functional teams across the organization to improve customer experience while delivering on business goals and outcomes.
• Partnering with other design leaders to drive overall design vision, brand experience and best practices.
• Driving reusable components, design patterns and consistent brand experience across products and platforms.
• Providing a clear and consistent voice on end-to-end UX design to project teams & stakeholders.
• Ensuring good user-centered design process across projects and programs.
• Bachelor’s degree in design or related degree/equivalent experience.
• 7+ years experience in digital product design and related work.
• Strong experience and portfolio designing highly functional, usable and beautiful user experiences on mobile, web and/or other device platforms.
• Experience delivering and managing UX design in Agile-based development teams
• Experience translating user analytics, research, and A/B test results into actionable insights and design recommendations.
• Experience with user-centered design methods including user research, usability testing, iterative prototyping, etc.
• Demonstrated experience successfully planning and executing projects and leading distributed teams.
• Excellent communication, presentation, management, and negotiation skills.
• Strong user experience design skills, e.g., customer journey map, experience diagramming, task analysis, workflow design, etc.
• Experience with observational user research, ethnography, insight and synthesis.
• Experience with design trends, benchmarking, forecasting and concept creation.
• Experience with project planning, scoping and execution in a phase-gate and/or agile environment
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with lots of moving parts where information, resources, and priorities can change quickly and where information must be readily digested and decisions made expeditiously.
• Strong customer and user intuition.
• You pay attention to details and take great pride in your work.
• You proactively identify project, people and organizational problems and provide well-thought-out solutions to them.