Requisition Number: 199848
The Atlanta-Journal Constitution is seeking a talented Part-time Page Designer I to design inside templated pages and section fronts for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, focusing heavily on the organization and presentation of information so that it clearly leads readers through the page. Responsibilities include designing inside pages; section-front pages and jumps; booking stories onto inside pages, as needed; and some curation and copy editing. A knowledge of sports is preferred.
*This role will work nights and weekends and can work remotely.
• Design pages, using software, that effectively presents editorial content, reflecting the order of importance of the stories.
• Design inside templated pages and section fronts and jumps, integrating multiple elements (display text, stories, images).
• Demonstrate basic news judgment, providing input in news, photos, headlines and overall play.
• Edit both copy and visual elements.
• Maintain design standards
• Publish to ePaper, including ePaper extras.
Assist with page-proofing, copy editing and curation duties, as needed.
• Help identify and select the strongest local content from our digital platforms for use in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s printed newspaper.
• Rank content for print based on its importance, following the reader research, and book section fronts and suggest packaging.
• Identify ASFs, breakout boxes and process storytelling opportunities.
• Read page proofs and graphics, edit stories and make appropriate corrections.
• Prioritize tasks and spend appropriate time on tasks with minimal supervision.
Education: Bachelor’s degree (preferred) or equivalent experience.
Years & Type of Experience: At least 5 years’ experience as a newspaper designer
Additional Requirements: A familiarity with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, its sections and the priorities outlined in the print action plan are also required. A knowledge or background in sports is preferred.