KCBD has a unique opening to lead our investigative unit. This opportunity requires initiative and leadership. You will work independently and as a team to take our daily reporting and long-term projects to the next level. In addition to turning in-depth, promotable content, the perfect person for this job will embrace and initiate day-turn reporting. You will be expected to verify facts and develop investigative angles to the news of day, find the stories behind press releases, and front breaking news and live content. Qualified candidates will also be considered for full-time and fill-in anchor opportunities.
• Work with the News Director to coach other team members on responsible and thoughtful investigative workflows and best practices. Ensure a daily, and multi-dimensional investigative presence in newscasts and all digital platforms.
• Write and post stories daily on all digital platforms, including kcbd.com, as new information is learned.
• Develop sources within the community to gain unique insight and reports on important and impactful issues.
• Work with News Director on long-form projects and planning, and day-turn stories (with a photographer and/or as an MMJ).
• A college degree in journalism or related field, and at least 2 or more years of newsroom experience.
• Experience in reviewing legal/court documents, FOIA and submitting open records requests to obtain information a must. A strong candidate will have excellent communication skills, proven news judgement, ethics and integrity. Strong work ethic, organizational and leadership skills. Must be able to work quickly, make deadlines, multi-task and show composure, especially during breaking news. Ability to work long hours, weekends, and overnights as needed.