The Corporate Director of Communications is responsible for developing and executing the company’s internal and external communications strategies including publicity, public relations, crisis communications, social media and reputation management. The Corporate Director of Communications will collaborate with the CEO and other company leaders to define and communicate the company’s position on a variety of issues and will work proactively to protect the company’s culture and reputation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Promote the company’s mission, vision, culture, brand and reputation by developing and directing the internal and external communication strategies.
• Create compelling and engaging communication materials for dissemination via multiple platforms and outlets.
• Work closely with the CEO and other company executives to create and deploy internal and external communications aligned with the company’s values and business objectives.
• Draft talking points, statements, messages, press releases and other communications for company leaders, and serve as communications counselor to ensure the effective delivery of prepared content.
• Develop and manage internal communications tools and strategies to promote engagement of employees company wide.
• Serve as the leader on a variety of internal and external communications projects.
• Build and maintain relationships with the company’s external communications resources and external media outlets.
• Stay current with social media trends and ensure the effectiveness of the company’s social media engagement both internally and externally.
• Ensure that the company’s communications strategies are deployed effectively and appropriately via social media.
• Conduct ongoing media analyses and monitor coverage of the company by the media.
• Develop, direct and execute the company’s responses to escalating issues and crises.
• Serve as company spokesperson as needed.
• Serve as the company’s point of contact for media requests.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a corporate communications leadership position, preferably for a public company.
• Ability to handle sensitive situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
• Demonstrated track record of creating effective and compelling communications content.
• Experience securing media coverage in multiple platforms.
• Experience serving as a media spokesperson.
• Superior organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with outstanding attention to detail.
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to build relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Thorough understanding of brand messaging.
• Significant experience managing high-profile public relations matters.
• Expertise in message delivery via digital and social media platforms.
• Capacity to handle confidential information with absolute discretion.
• Ability to establish priorities and deadlines, to manage projects to budget and plan, and achieve objectives within those parameters.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Corporate Director of Communications must be able to sit, reach, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. The Corporate Director of Communications must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment or items weighing up to 25 pounds. In addition, the Corporate Director of Communications must be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required.