NPR in Washington DC is seeking an experienced, talented, and knowledgeable Sr UX Designer lead to work on the Visuals team in the NPR newsroom. You will work in close collaboration with reporters and editors in our newsroom on daily graphics, large digital projects, new storytelling formats, and multiple platforms. You’ll provide design leadership to a growing Visuals team, collaborate on projects, and bring experience with new approaches and methodologies. The Sr UX Designer will build strong relationships and problem-solving collaborations across the newsroom, member stations, our partners, and the public media community.
• Function as a thought leader and problem solver on Design/UX and Data Visualization Graphics for the Visuals team, Digital Content, Newsroom, and member stations
• Set standards on best practices on emerging methodologies for UX and design, data visualization graphics, and storytelling presentations for our newsroom, our partners in public media, and member stations
• Lead newsroom training on graphics, UX and design approaches, and methodologies
• Facilitate the understanding of the strategy, scope, and structure of digital experiences.
• Work with individual story producers, editors and others to identify opportunities for visual storytelling.
• Work with audience research analysts to establish criteria for measuring the success of editorial initiatives.
• Work with designers and developers to build testable prototypes and presentation layer code for published projects.
• Bachelors in a design-related field (e.g., interaction design, product design, graphic design) or equivalent practical experience.
• Five or more years of experience in news design (or a similar field).
• Flexibility and aplomb required to respond quickly to active stories in the news along with the persistence and consistency required for longer-term story design and development.
• Demonstrated experience applying user-centered design thinking to editorial work.
• Proven success implementing complex designs in HTML/CSS
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch or other design/visual prototyping software
• Experience in using, applying, and the culture of Agile and Lean methodologies
• Leadership skills and a pragmatic approach to journalism and investigative storytelling
• Experience working with the Git version control system
• Experience with Python and familiarity with Python web frameworks such as Flask or Django