KVUE-TV is looking for a great sports journalist to join our team in the number one city in America to live in, Austin, Texas! In addition to covering the Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M Aggies, some of the best players in America play high school sports in central Texas.
We need a great storyteller who will also excel in the digital age. The successful candidate will be able to create unique and shareable stories for all platforms through memorable writing, photography, and editing as well as a strong on-camera presentation.
We’re looking for candidates who think of sports as another form of news, and are eager to find and break stories.
In this role, you will:
• Produce and anchor unique sportscasts that break through the traditional “sports for sports fans” approach.
• Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit sports stories for on-air broadcasting as well as digital posting.
• Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner.
• Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
• Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
• Deliver on-air live sports events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner as both a reporter and anchor.
• Interview sports subjects and research for facts and credibility.
• Develop sports sources for general assignment and special areas of interest.
• Produce sports stories that are unique and captivating.
• Operate news gathering vehicle to and from various locations.
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
• Shoot, write and edit packaged reports.
• Write for the web, including attaching images and streaming video.
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
• Transmit and present exciting live reports with current technology.
• Perform other tasks, including writing, shooting, editing and reporting/anchoring news stories as required by supervisor.
Here’s what you need:
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
• A strong natural on-camera presentation and an interesting style.
• At least 2 years experience preferred
• Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
• Understanding the tenets of professional journalism
• A portfolio with examples of strong breaking sports reporting
• Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
• Strong social media skills, including an active sports presence on Twitter and Facebook
• Knowledge of ENPS and Edius a plus
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking sports situations and changing events