Working at The Weather Channel television network
As The Weather Channel television network, we have heightened focus on innovation, first-class storm coverage and hyper-localized weather information available through our various TV platforms including: The Weather Channel, WeatherScan and Local Now. For more than 30 years, The Weather Channel television network has inspired viewers to explore, investigate and appreciate the experience of weather in all its forms.
We are one of the most widely distributed television networks and the leader in severe weather coverage, providing the most comprehensive real-time programming of any media outlet, with trusted meteorologists who analyze, forecast and report the weather.
Weather is inherently fascinating, and we share our passion through the stories we tell to our audiences through our programming. The more our viewers engage with us, the more our stories illuminate how weather impacts almost everything.
We’re always looking for new talent to keep us on top like someone incredible to fill the job listed here.
The Broadcast Design Engineer provides technical design services for all television and IT broadcast systems and equipment used by Weather Group Television and other related initiatives. This position requires cultivating strong working relations between broadcast engineering and its internal and external customers.
This position will participate in Engineering group projects and insure project standards and procedures are met and maintained. The Broadcast Design Engineer will be asked to support maintenance teams on engineering support duties, as required.
The idea candidate will have knowledge and experience in troubleshooting and repairing the following equipment or systems:
• Snell Automation
• Evertz Master Control Switching Technology
• GVG video production switching systems
• GVG Ignite Automation Systems
• Evertz EXE Routing System
• Broadcast Studio Camera Systems
• Dalet Broadcast Media Asset Management
• Cisco Router Technology
• VizRt Graphic Systems
• Adobe Premier Editing Systems
• Harmonic Media Grid and Spectrum Storage and playout solutions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Designs and manages install of technical systems to support WGT initiatives.
• Evaluates new technologies and recommends to WGT technical management and internal customers forward looking designs and systems to help technology evolution in WGT’s business units.
• Provides technical and customer support for all engineering and broadcast related projects within The WGT Operational facilities.
• Will be available for consultation on critical systems that the Broadcast Design Engineer has contributed designs for and has specific knowledge of.
• Acts as subject-matter expert on digital broadcast and broadcast IT systems.
• Analyzes and maintains departmental records which include, but are not limited to, facility technical documentation, engineering project tracking documentation, broadcast IT infrastructure documentation.
• Ensures that system and equipment documentation is current and implements processes to continuously review and improve systems and documentation.
• Specifies, demonstrates, and evaluates new television broadcast and IT equipment.
• Implements system development and architecture changes as directed.
• Proactively and appropriately communicates the status of engineering projects to Engineering Management and to TWC Engineering customers.
• Works as a part of a team to continually develop and improve asset management processes and standards used to support TWC internal customers.
• Guides and educates engineering staff on TWC asset management systems.
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• Minimum of two years technical training and a minimum of 6 years demonstrated experience as a Broadcast Engineer working with IT and traditional broadcast video system solutions
• Demonstrated experience as a Broadcast Design Engineer
• Proficient in the use of AutoCad as a design tool
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Project for project milestone planning
• Proficient in the use of related test equipment including, but not limited to, waveform monitors, vectorscopes, multi-meters, oscilloscopes, test signal generators, spectrum analyzers, data and network analyzers etc
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in installing and configuring Broadcast Systems, Broadcast Related Computer Systems and Servers
• Must be able to work in a multitasking environment
• Must be able to lead a team to successful task completion
• Must be able to lift and move equipment as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Experience working in an Automated Newsroom Environment utilizing Dalet or similar tools
• Knowledge of advanced Windows, Linux and Mac OSX operating systems
• Knowledge of video compression technology and digital transmission technology
• Demonstrates a strong desire to continually increase technical proficiency of all equipment and systems used in TWC’s Broadcast Facility
• Strong customer service skills
• Excellent written/verbal communication skills
• Can support flexible work schedule as project requirements dictate
The Weather Channel does not accept agency/search firm referrals for this posting, or other postings, without prior written permission from The Weather Channel Human Resources. The Weather Channel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
The Weather Channel operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Hours worked by The Weather Channel associates will vary according to job responsibility and scheduling demands of each department.
The Weather Channel is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, the presence of non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any legally protected status.
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary. Any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way. If you choose to complete this form, please follow the link below, complete the form and return to email@example.com, which is a confidential e-mail in box.
Relocation costs are not provided for this job, by submitting a resume, candidates understand and acknowledge that The Weather Channel will not provide relocation assistance or support and that relocation will be entirely the responsibility of the candidate.
PLEASE NOTE: Human Resources does NOT provide application status updates via the telephone. Confirmation of receipt of application will be sent via e-mail once the application has been successfully submitted.
Job Segment: Meteorologist, Facilities, Engineer, Design Engineer, Cisco, Science, Operations, Engineering, Technology