Requisition ID 16581
As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery Communications to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.
This is an opportunity to play a vital role and be part of Discovery’s expanding Big Data engineering capability area within the Global Data Analytics department.
The Manager - Data Engineering position is for a senior technical leader and contributor who has complete technical knowledge of all phases of building large-scale data processing systems and applications. The data engineering manager would design, develop, automate, maintain and test big data solutions within our organization. Responsibilities would include building and leading a team of data engineers, assist in hiring, mentoring and resource planning.
This individual would manage the implementation of complex big data projects with a focus on collecting, parsing, managing, analyzing and visualizing large sets of data to turn information into insights using multiple platforms. The data engineering manager should be passionate about working with cutting edge technologies in solving problems and develop prototypes, proof of concepts for the selected solutions.
1. Align and lead a broad team of information management professionals. Mentor and develop team resources to create a solid staff infrastructure for current activities and future growth
2. Create, configure, implement, document and automate ingestion, enrichment and analytic pipelines using distributed big data / cloud platform
3. Identify, evaluate and implement big data tools and frameworks required to provide requested capabilities
4. Understand the challenges being addressed by an engagement and collaborate with team members to deliver a technical solution that meets the business needs.
• 4+ years of managing technical resources in big data initiatives
• 6+ years of hands on experience with AWS services (such as EMR, Spark, RedShift, Data Pipeline, Lambda, S3 and Kinesis)
• 4+ years of working experience with Hadoop based technologies such as MapReduce, Spark, Hive/Pig/Impala and NoSQL Databases
• 10+ years of extensive working knowledge in different programming or scripting languages like Java, Linux,Shell, Perl, Python and/or R.
• Experience working with structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sets including social, web logs and real time data feeds
• Proficient in designing & automating efficient and robust ETL/ELT workflows
• Able to tune Big Data solutions to improve performance and end-user experience
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or software engineering
• Knowledge of BI and Visualization tools such as MicroStrategy/Tableau is a plus
• Experience with Scala, Jenkins, GitHub, nodejs and mongo db is a plus
• Big Data Developer Certification is a plus
• Experience in the media industry is a plus
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States