SUMMARY OF POSITION
WB Games Inc. seeks an Advanced Artist, World for the WBG Monolith Engineering department. For over 20 years Monolith has been obsessed with delivering unique gaming experiences for our fans. Combining innovative gameplay, cutting edge technology and AI, inventive narratives and stunning visuals to create award winning and best-selling games. Starting with our first game, Blood through to our most recent title, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor which has been awarded with numerous Game of the Year Awards, including Gamespot, Joystiq and IGN as well as Best Action/Adventure Game at the 2014 Game Awards.
We are dedicated to ensuring that our next game is our best yet, and to achieve that we need the best and brightest talent the industry has to offer.
The Advanced World Artist is responsible for creating realistic props and environments of the highest quality and is a recognized studio leading contributor. This person will work closely with the Lead World Artist along with the Directors of Art to ensure that the aesthetic quality is kept at the highest bar across all content creation. The Advanced World Artist will be well versed in industry game engines, industry standard art tools, and will be responsible for coordinating with a team of artists in the completion of high quality character content. Additionally, the Advanced World Artist is responsible for mentoring junior artists, as well as, researching, developing, and recommending new art tech/design that pushes the studio's quality bar forward.
• Create high quality, highly realistic, industry leading environment art content that includes modeling, sculpting, texturing, and material development for props, architecture, geology and organic features.
• Collaborate with Design to ensure environment content supports game play.
• Ensure the high-quality bar established by the Director of Art is achieved.
• Research, develop, and present new methods, techniques, and tools that push our art quality to the next level.
• Ensure content is efficient and consistent with technical constraints.
• Create blockout geometry, establish layouts, apply set decoration and detailing.
• Actively participate in peer reviews, meetings, mentor other artists on team.
• BA in art or related field or equivalent experience.
• 8+ years of progressively complex related experience in the industry.
• At least 3 published games preferably with at least one Xbox One or PS4 title.
• Experience with AAA open world game development a plus.
• At least 8+ years experience with industry standard 3D package (3DS Max and Maya). Max preferred.
• At least 5+ years of ZBrush and/or other digital sculpting tools.
• At least 8+ years experience with Photoshop and/or Painter.
• Excellent high and low resolution modeling and sculpting skills.
• Excellent understanding of geology, rock formations, terrain, and foliage.
• Excellent understanding of a variety of architectural styles with an ability to apply knowledge from historical references.
• Experience creating environments using modular systems.
• Strong understanding of foundation art fundamentals including; color theory, composition, internal/external silhouette, and value structures.
• Strong understanding of new gen shader technology with an ability to create a wide range of highly realistic materials.
• Must be able to embrace the established art vision of the game and ensure it is delivered in its entirety at the end of the project.
• Solid experience and understanding of art pipelines with experience in development for Xbox One and/or PS4.
• Ability to adapt rapidly to new or changing technology with an interest in finding ways to evolve and improve the environment art creation pipeline.
• Must have an active, passionate interest in current video games to help drive the game to the next level.
• Solid organization skills with adherence to file structures, naming conventions and other established protocols.
• Excellent ability to self manage and accurately predict and adhere to task length estimates and deadlines.
• Must be an excellent collaborator with a willingness to provide/accept direction and the ability to embrace change.
• Ability to clearly articulate ideas both written and verbally.
• Portfolio/website demonstrating fundamental foundation art skills, design sensibilities, and attention to detail.