The Data Reporter researches, writes and reports compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change. Works with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Contributes to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism. This reporter should dissect data to find compelling stories that are buried in numbers. The data reporter should be well versed in data analysis programs as well as visualization programs. The reporter must be able to work well with other staffers on significant watchdog projects as well as turning around quick hits related to facts and figures that tell the story of our community. The reporter should be well versed in our state’s public information laws and accountability reporting techniques. This reporter should be a superb storyteller on all platforms, including social media, who develops a key brand of reporting for the RGJ.
• Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
• Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
• Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
• Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
• Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Performs other duties as necessary.
• Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
• Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
• Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
• Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills
• Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
• Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
• Self-motivation and self-direction.
• Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
• Photo and video skills.
• Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
• Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
• Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
• Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
• Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
• Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
• Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
• Industry knowledge.
• Organizational skills.
• Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
Requisition Number 40784