The Scripps National Bureau, based in Washington, DC, has an opening for a director of digital content is the editorial leader of digital news and information operations for the Scripps Washington Bureau. The role will help create the overall content strategy for the Scripps DC bureau, including launching a daily product, defining the editorial voice, and leading a team of reporters and producers generating stories and other content that readers will use and share across platforms. The director of digital content assures that the bureau is delivering original stories with a focus on "decoding" national politics and helping the audience understand crucial political issues and how they affect everyday life.
The director of digital content will focus on engaging the audience; building a community of followers; and championing innovative and new ways to reach the audience through text, audio and visual story-telling.
This role also is a key leader guiding and executing the cross platform national investigative reporting of the bureau that are relevant and localizable in Scripps communities and beyond and have the greatest potential for impact and change. In pursuit of these goals, the director of digital content works extremely closely with the leaders of all Digital Media teams across Scripps, including headquarters and at stations and newspapers.
• Oversees the digital editorial products produced at the Bureau and the staff that produces it
• Leads the effort to develop and launch DecodeDC, an original digital first product
• Leads planning meetings for DecodeDC, developing ideas for stories suggesting guests and new approaches to telling stories
• With the broadcast executive producer, plans and manages investigative team and the strategy to produce original, impactful investigative cross-platform projects
• Plans and manages coordination and collaboration with Scripps TV stations and newspapers
• Works closely with all Digital Media and investigative teams across Scripps to ensure creative collaboration on all aspects of production and distribution.
• Responsible for guiding a strategy for new products and services; a focus on the audience; innovative content; a community of readers, listeners and viewers; and new ways to reach those audiences
• Must be diligent in keeping abreast of new technology and products so that bureau can quickly adopt new practices that can improve all digital efforts
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum of 10 years total journalism experience and 5 years in a senior position in online news
• At least five years' experience reporting or editing Washington political and national news
• Demonstrated expertise in all aspects of online journalism - reporting, writing, editing, photography and social media
• Proven track record managing multiple tasks and ongoing projects in a fast-paced environment
• Excellence in analysis and interpretation
• Ability to aggressively set a coverage and style agenda, strong organizational skills
• Flawless and fluid written, editing and verbal communication skills
• Advanced problem solving skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse range of individuals
• Strong management skills, including the ability to coach, empower and listen
• Ability to mentor young journalists and to listen and learn
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with other news leaders, as well as staff from other departments in the development of new products and new ways to reach Scripps audience and beyond
• Team player
• A creative mind and a keen understanding of the Scripps mission
• Data skills preferred
• Experience working in broadcast and print preferred