As Senior Staff Engineer Lead at HBO Max, you will guide and motivate the Codeflow team. You take an active role in developing the careers of everyone on your team. You define metrics for success, and clear the way for your team to achieve and exceed them. You foster and encourage diverse viewpoints, and are able to harmonize discordant views.
The Codeflow team provides the services and infrastructure that builds, tests and deploys the HBO Max client application. We work on a large range of target devices, including mobile phones, tablets, web browsers, game consoles, and smart TVs. We ensure changes on one platform are consistent across all platforms. Our customers are the entire HBO Max development organization.
Your team directly impacts the way we develop, test, and deploy the HBO Max client application. You’ll manage and support a large, custom build system, spread across both AWS and an on-premise lab with multiple device types. Your software will transform a multi-hour build and test cycle into a routine process that will wrap up by the time you finish your coffee. You’ll work directly with the engineers, designers, SDETs, and TPMs to understand their pain points, and how we can solve them.
• Lead and grow the team that scales the build system to support engineering organization growth
• Coach the engineers on your team through technical challenges, and help them grow their career
• Scale a build system with many different, unique device types – phones, tablets, game consoles, and smart TVs; anywhere HBO Max runs, we get to play with
• Set the bar for code and test quality; your work serves as an example to others
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
• Experience managing a team of software engineers
• Experience with build and test automation systems
• Experience working directly with cross-functional stakeholders (engineers, leads, QA, designers and TPMs) to understand what they need, and how you can provide it
• A passion for optimizing the developer workflow; you innately understand the value of knocking 3 minutes off of a build process per developer
• 7+ years of experience in software development, with 3+ years managing engineers
The Nice to Haves
• Wisdom is learned through experience, and it helps to have learned some lessons along the way
• Experience with AWS or other cloud infrastructure providers; we maintain the infrastructure we operate
• Understanding of the tradeoffs between PaaS and IaaS, and when to choose either; we use both
• Deep understanding of common git branching strategies, and their tradeoffs; you have opinions about the Right Way to write code but are willing to explore others
• Experience working with multiple device types (mobile / browser / Smart TV / game consoles); each platform has challenges, and it’d be good to know those ahead of time
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands