KCCI, Iowa's News Leader, is looking for a television and digital on-air reporter to join our award-winning Hearst Television team. KCCI 8 News leads the way in breaking news and investigative broadcast journalism. The ideal candidate is one who is skilled at "getting the scoop." We're looking for someone adept at breaking news live reporting, and in-depth investigative work. Our next reporter is one who enjoys challenging those in power, and who can partner with a photojournalist to tell compelling, visual stories. We're looking for someone with news experience who's ready to make a difference through the craft of journalism. This position will involve developing news contacts and connecting with members of the community to deliver exclusive reports. The winning candidate will be a self-starter who works efficiently under tight deadlines, and who can convey the essence of a story with great energy and brevity. We want a team member who is confident, accurate, and energetic.
• Developing news contacts
• Generating story ideas and daily participation in newsroom editorial meetings.
• Daily reporting for television and digital platforms.
• Live breaking news reporting from the scene of crimes, accidents or fires
• The ability to produce engaging coverage of governmental and political issues
• Past reporting experience (at least two years preferred)
• Solid research skills
• Strong writing and storytelling skills and ability
• Ability to speak and report extemporaneously,
• A valid driver's license, and a clear driving record
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
• Bachelor’s Degree or related military training in Broadcast Communications, Journalism, or related field is preferred
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.