The Green Bay Press-Gazette/greenbaypressgazette.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin, is looking for a Streetwise reporter whose primary job is to alert readers about new businesses opening and closing in the dynamic Green Bay area.
While alerting readers about “what” is happening, the Streetwise reporter will also help them save time and money by searching for answers behind “why” certain retailers are going bust while others are rapidly expanding.
The ideal reporter is comfortable on social media, in front of a camera and translating business and government euphemisms into understandable sentences. The landscape runs the gamut of the Green Bay area, from historic downtowns and highway strip malls to Titletown Tech.
The speed and scale of change gives the reporter a broad canvas for helping readers understand how their community is changing and what is behind that “Coming Soon” sign they just spotted.
• Efficiently and accurately write breaking-news stories.
• Contribute to urgent coverage of business and economic news.
• Deep-dive explanatory and watchdog stories on Wisconsin companies, retail and ecommerce shopping trends and consumer scams and rip-offs.
• Work with editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Collaborate with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
• Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
• Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with strong internships.
• Minimum of 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience.
• Demonstrated ability to write quickly on deadline, preferably in a digitally focused environment.
• Ability to work collaboratively and communicate clearly.
• A drive to be better, faster and more interesting than the competition.
• Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
• Strong command of AP grammar and style.
• Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
• Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
• Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
• A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
• Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
• Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
• Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
• Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
• This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
• Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).