This is a hands-on job. Dishwashers get wet. Fridges get cold. Vacuums get dirty. You must love getting into the minutiae of products. You must also be able to lift over 50 pounds, as well as bend, stretch, and remain on your feet for extended periods of time.
• While you’ll have the opportunity to work across many different kinds of products, this role is focused primarily on home appliances. Understanding the needs of a homeowner and having an eye for design are both valued traits.
• You’re process-oriented and you love spreadsheets. You’re technically minded and driven to figure out how stuff works. You have strong communication skills and can explain complicated information in easy-to-understand terms.
• This position reports to the Head Scientist and is part of the product testing team. You’ll work closely with the editorial team to help them to write reviews and other content.
• This is a full-time position in our Cambridge, MA office and labs.
• Test large appliances according to strict in-house standards.
• Provide editorial staff members with summaries of product testing results to inform the writing of product reviews.
• Move and install large appliances around the lab.
• Assist Testing Team members with various tasks in the product test lab.
• Photograph products or testing process.
• Occasionally write articles for publication on our website.
• Bachelor's or master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• A passion for learning how things work and helping consumers.
• A willingness to learn new skills and problem-solve when issues arise.
• The strength to lift 50 pounds, as well as to bend, stretch, and stand for extended periods of time.
• The ability to speak on camera and share your testing and product experiences through video or social media.
• Solid writing skills.