KGW in Portland, Oregon is looking for a multi-skilled News Producer who is ready to throw out the old playbook of local television news and think of new, exciting ways to serve our audience on-air and online. KGW has long been a leader in the Portland news market but that doesn’t mean we’re going to sit back and quietly watch the news landscape change around us. We are building a newsroom full of innovators, creative thinkers and people who strive to create compelling, impactful journalism.
We want someone who thinks creatively both about building your daily newscast, and about making your content shine on our digital and social platforms. We need a producer who embraces social media and uses social platforms to give our viewers a voice in his or her show. We want someone who is excited about the future of journalism.
Our newsroom is in downtown Portland, a beautiful city with a thriving cultural scene. You’ll have no shortage of restaurants to eat at, art galleries and bookstores to explore, and fun neighborhoods to check out. Not to mention the outdoor opportunities – you can visit the beach and Mt. Hood on the same day.
KGW’s newsroom lives by our mission: to champion truth, advocate for change and work to make our community a better place. We expect our employees to be innovative, trustworthy and work with integrity.
Responsibilities for our producer position include:
• Produce, write, and coordinate coverage for assigned newscast and digital platforms
• Give our audience a voice in our coverage by facilitating conversations on social media
• Contribute to our broader news-gathering efforts by pitching story ideas and producing original content
• Be a vocal member of our team and think about innovative ways to tell stories
• Conduct regular content review of programming.
• Coordinate with news department for resources and staffing.
• Should be familiar with ENPS, Edius and newsroom systems.
• A bachelor's degree. Degree in journalism or related field preferred but not required.
• Two years’ experience line producing preferred. If you don’t have that experience, then convince us why you’re still the right person for the job.
• Strong leadership, writing and organizational skills
• An understanding of audience flow and meter strategy is needed
• Basic video editing skills and graphic production skills are required. The more skills you bring in this area the better.
• Demonstrated proficiency in using social media for news-gathering and interacting with our audience.
• Knowledge of Portland and Oregon is helpful in this position, but not required