The Citizen Times/citizen-times.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is looking for a curious, ambitious journalist to report on issues of growth and the economy in an area that has seen significant and culture-changing development in the last decade.
This is more than a business beat. The right candidate will be able to spot trends, connect dots and tell bigger stories about how the economic engines of this region are changing by the year.
While your ability to mine data will form the backbone of some enterprise stories, you'll know that the best journalism gets down to a personal level. As Asheville and Southern Appalachia balances itself between an economy based on manufacturing to one based on tourism, how does that affect lives? Be ready to tackle stories that dig deep into numbers as well as personalities.
Asheville, North Carolina is a vibrant community in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and is home to some of the nation's best mountain biking, hiking and kayaking. It's also known as a top restaurant destination and boasts dozens of craft breweries.
• Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
• Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
• Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
• Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
• Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• At least 2 years' experience in reporting, with a solid understanding of economic growth issues.
• Proven experience with storytelling on multiple platforms.
• Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond to and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
• Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience’s time and money.
• Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit & Snapchat.
• Proven experience aggregating content and producing quick write-ups based on breaking news. Presents a quick, conversational writing style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
• Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
• Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
• Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
• Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
• Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
• Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
• Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
• This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
• Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
• This reporter's week will include a balance of enterprise and daily stories. Find a story worth investigating? We'll make time for that. Evening and weekend work may be expected.