USA TODAY is looking for an experienced, competitive editor to join its politics breaking news team. This editor would be part of a team that covers breaking and trending political news, including impeachment, elections and geopolitical issues, and also works closely with teams covering the White House, Congress, Justice Department, Supreme Court, Pentagon and other major national news in Washington and throughout the world.
This is a fast-paced job that requires urgency to get news out quickly (and update as needed) while also ensuring appropriate context and accuracy. Excellent news judgment, editing and fact-checking skills are required.
The editor should also should be a team player, capable of working collaboratively with editors and reporters throughout our 30-person bureau as well as across the 200-plus sites in the USA TODAY Network.
We’re looking for someone to:
• Edit and post breaking or in-the-moment news.
• Optimize content, paying special attention to headlines, SEO and fields visible to social audiences.
• Drive innovative storytelling in all formats, from written word to video, audio and graphics.
• Lead not only on reporting and accuracy but also urgency and context.
• Use social and other tools to spot high-interest items ahead of the competition.
• Uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility.
We're looking for someone who has Washington (or political reporting) experience. This role would require evening hours. It would ideally be based in DC but we would consider another location for the right candidate.