USA TODAY is looking for a Data Editor to help drive investigative and enterprise work at USA TODAY and more than 250 daily newsrooms across the country.
We need someone who can organize and guide a team of talented data analysts, programmers and reporters who use data and digital tools to answer critical questions and produce stories that hold powerful people and institutions accountable. We’re looking for a creative thinker with a proven ability to conceptualize stories and push others to elevate their work.
You will work with a dedicated team of data reporters at USA TODAY. But you will also be working with the largest team of journalists in the U.S., with the nation as your subject, coordinating data-driven stories in collaboration with reporters and editors at our newspapers nationwide.
Our Data & Investigations team members work in cities across the country. This position can be based at our headquarters in McLean, VA, one of our local newsrooms or remotely under the right circumstances.
What you will do:
• Obtain and analyze government and commercially available data to break revelatory enterprise and investigative stories for use nationally and locally, across the USA TODAY NETWORK.
• Collaborate with, lead and inspire journalists nationwide to build exclusive, custom data sets.
• Collaborate with data visualization and digital storytelling experts to turn data into the best storytelling formats – whether graphics, data stories, interactives or some medium we’ve never seen before or even dreamed up.
• Organize and set a vision for training, skill-building and innovation that helps USA TODAY Network reporters continually develop to remain at the forefront of the latest story-getting and storytelling tools and capabilities.
• Help local USA TODAY Network journalists, working with our data or theirs, to identify the best angles for unique, revealing stories for their local or statewide target audiences.
• At least three years of experience in a leadership role.
• At least five years of experience as a reporter for a daily news media organization, including a proven track record of collaboration on major enterprise or data projects.
• Demonstrable experience obtaining and analyzing data to drive investigative stories, and using that data to tell stories and/or empower readers.
• Expert level Excel, Access, GIS and SQL skills are a minimum. You should be comfortable with statistics, work with a variety of data cleaning tools and have some mapping skills.
• Experience with scraping tools, web development or data science highly desirable.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent, plus newsroom data analysis experience that has resulted in repeated, high-quality investigative stories that stand out.