Job ID R10009932
Manage and supervise factual, character-led and unscripted programming produced by third party production companies for National Geographic Channels and its various platforms. This will include National Geographic Channels’ Feature Doc Films estimating 2 dozen projects per year in addition to Unscripted programming. Work closely with Development and Production teams and Executives to achieve highest production value and editorial quality while ensuring productions are delivering on budget and on schedule.
• Responsible for the management and supervision of feature documentary projects produced by third party production companies for National Geographic Documentary Films and its various platforms. Review budgets and schedules, process and track project payments, review cost reports and oversee deliverables management.
• In collaborations with Development, Production teams and Executives, aims to achieve highest production value and editorial quality while ensuring productions are delivering on budget and on schedule.
• Oversee management of the deliverables process to ensure this programming meets NGC’s technical specs to distribute to festivals, theaters, and NGC’s air. Also, to collaborate with internal stakeholders at NGC to promote, market etc. these projects.
• Ensure Network’s production and technical requirements are met and manage and troubleshoot production issues as they arise including risk management, background checks, insurance, rights and release issues, compliance etc.
• Helps ensure that productions are delivering in accordance with network standards.
• Provide daily supervision, management and development for Unit Manager, and partner with for all assigned productions from greenlight through final payment.
• Execute performance reviews and any HR related needs.
• Staff management.
• Foster strong working relationships with production companies and as budgets allow, conduct on site vendor visits to evaluate company capacity, systems and better understand how budgets are being spent.
• Production partnership and confirming allocation of production funds.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key production vendors to create cost and workflow efficiencies that could benefit network productions.
• Development of internal resources and beneficial relationships in the production marketplace.
• Contribute to Production Management department projects as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
• At least 8 years of production experience in the documentary, reality and/or scripted entertainment market focusing on character driven series.
• Prior experience working at a Network and/or with Network deliverables preferred.
• Over 200 hours of field experience in documentary, reality programming preferred. This needs to include working on feature documentaries via Network, SVOD or in the field.
• Excellent written, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must be proficient with MS software applications and adapt quickly to learning new technology, software and systems for internal company use.
• A self-starter with the ability to prioritize among multiple concurrent projects.
• Strong knowledge of production logistics and workflow, industry technology, rights issues, and current industry standard practices.
• Experience in overseeing and creating budgets and schedules.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced customer service-oriented network environment.