The Breaking News Reporter researches, reports and writes compelling journalism for the Tallahassee Democrat that continuously grows audience base by informing and engaging readers. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Works with the editor and news director to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Works independently to report breaking news on public safety, weather, criminal justice and traffic focused on appropriate, most immediate and widest delivery to audiences. Regular checks of law enforcement, courts, public safety and other sources to discover and report. Is required to monitor the competition to not be beat and to strive to be first. Focus on public-document delivery – text, video, audio – to audiences in ways shown, through metrics, to enhance reporting. Particular attention to student safety – crime and safety on campuses of Florida State, Florida A&M and Tallahassee Community College.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism preferred
• Experience working for an online-only news website, newspaper or magazine
• Excellent communication and time management skills; ability to deliver on deadline
• Ability to write accurately and ethically with style and detail
• Good understanding of audience and community-building on social media sites and/or blogs
• This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
When applying, please include a single document with as much of the following as possible: a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. It’s important that these items be assembled into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.