I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
Develops, writes and reports daily news stories and events and presents information live or on tape. Coordinates with assignment desk and producers. Gathers, packages and brokers information about a news topic to the general public. The work performed is for all media platforms and initiatives, including on-air, website, app and social media.
II. Essential Job Functions
• Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads/tips to develop story ideas. Develops, writes, reports and edits video news stories from concept to finish. Researches and compiles information into a written story that is ready for on-air delivery. Generates story ideas, cultivates news sources and remains knowledgeable regarding places, events and people in the news. Shoots and edits video as necessary.
• Provides daily story notes outlining ideas for future stories. Passes along facts uncovered concerning ongoing projects. • Provides progress reports on story checks. Shares information relating to upcoming events, meetings or story developments. Presents news stories or reports via on air, live from the set, live remotes or live indoor locations.
• Maintains contacts within business community to report promptly on new or continuing events.
• Serves as community ambassador for the news department. Responds to concerns of viewers. Makes personal appearances on behalf of the station. Attends station sponsored promotion events as scheduled.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field, or equivalent training and/or experience.
• Minimum three years’ experience reporting news at a commercial television station or equivalent on camera reporting at a digital news outlet
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must possess advanced understanding of legal and ethical issues impacting journalism.
• Ability to combine words and pictures into informative and interesting news stories.
• Advanced knowledge of the locale, governing bodies, demographics and public figures.
• Ability to edit stories as necessary.
• Ability to perform quality work in high pressure deadline situations.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must possess valid Driver’s License.
• % Travel Required (Approximate): 50% (extensive local travel to news locations).