Requisition ID 24431
We are looking for technically deep, analytical software engineering leaders to join our growing Bellevue team. If your interest lies in building highly scalable container-based services, then this may be the team for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks. (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring software development engineers to join our team in Bellevue. The ideal candidate has a track record of shipping high quality features in industry software engineering roles. You have solved business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applied appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices, delivered high-quality results the first time and improved code, documentation, and results with each iteration. Your existing team trusts your work.
1. You are able to work autonomously to design and develop functional changes to existing software systems. You require little or no guidance by team members. You still actively seek input where appropriate and engage your team to inform and share what you are doing.
2. You can collaborate with other engineers assisting on features another engineer designed or taking the lead on feature design yourself. Your software contributions are demonstrated to work in production, and your team trusts your decisions, designs, and code.
3. You are able to describe and defend your design and code decisions to other engineers, embrace constructive feedback, and adapt your approach to align with team and company standards and objectives.
4. You consistently demonstrated good software ownership practices (e.g. code reviews, code comments, etc) in all of your contributions. Your code reviews are uneventful, you prepare documentation proactively, and you ensure proper monitoring for operational excellence in production.
5. You offer enhancements to best practices, document, design and architecture improvements, and as feedback through code reviews to other engineers without continuous prompting or recurring encouragement. Other engineers appreciate your feedback.
6. You can troubleshoot a production issue by reviewing source code, logs, operational metrics, stack trace etc to pinpoint a specific problem and then resolve it.
• Proficient in Java 8, including use of Fugtures and Streams
• Experience with one or more of: PostgreSQL and MySQL, Caching solutions (such as Redis and Guava), Search engine technology (preferably ElasticSearch)
• Knowledge of, and professional experience with most AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch.
• Asynchronous, non-blocking, functional style of programming and experience implementing with frameworks such as Vert.x, Spring, Node.js
• Usage and deep understanding of Docker and Kubernetes
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States