HowStuff Works, the podcast company known for old-school favorites like Stuff You Should Know, crime juggernauts like Atlanta Monster, and indie darlings like Committed and Part-Time Genius, is launching a brand new New York studio in our iHeart offices... and we need you!
What the job entails:
We’re looking for a production juggernaut: someone who’s comfortable listening to a ton of tape and stitching the gems together into cohesive and addictive shows. The job is super hands on-- under the guidance of a Supervising Producer, you’ll manage hosts, shape stories, book guests, prep and outsource research, and work with a team to create sparkling audio. You’ll record in both studio and the field, and you’ll often take the first pass at shaping the story and mixing a recording. This is a rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor of an editorial-first shop that promises enormous reach and potential. We’re a small team in a large company, which means exciting work—and a lot of it.
A typical week will include working on a number of shows in various stages of production. You should be detail-oriented, deadline-driven, growth-minded, and comfortable working in both a team and independently. You’ll have an eye for finding a compelling angle for any given subject, and an ability to tell a story both conversationally and creatively. An inclination to roll up your sleeves and solve problems—doing whatever is needed to get the job done—is essential.
You should have:
• Minimum 2 years professional audio production experience
• Exceptional organizational skills, ability to prioritize work, and a track record of turning around audio on a tight deadline
• Ability to script and edit character driven narrative, with an inclination to push boundaries and innovate
• Comfort coaching a host through an interview
• Proficiency in audio mixing
• Proficiency with studio and field recording equipment and hardware
• Ability to work in Adobe Audition, as well as Apple OS and related software
• Knowledge of sound recording and ability to troubleshoot in studio and field environments
• Creativity to make the most of limited resources
• Eagerness to take direction and grow in the position
• Efficiency and grace under tight deadlines