WHNS-TV, a Meredith Corporation station, is in search of a Reporter/Multimedia Journalist. The station is located in beautiful Greenville South Carolina (Market #37). The Reporter/Multimedia Journalist researches, packages and brokers information about a news topic to the general public. This position develops, writes and reports daily news stories and events and presents information live or on tape. The Multimedia Journalist coordinates with assignment desk and producers. This position shoots, writes and edits (non-linear) stories in the field, operates LiveU backpack (or equivalent) laptop editor and stays actively involved with station social media across all relevant digital platforms.
Essential Job Functions
• Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
• 65% Receives assignments and evaluates leads/tips to develop story ideas. Develops, shoots, writes, reports and edits video news stories from concept to finish. Researches and compiles information into a written story that is ready for on-air delivery. Generates story ideas, cultivates news sources and remains knowledgeable regarding places, events and people in the news. Shoots and edits video. Operates live truck. Posts stories on website. Is actively involved in social media postings as well as all digital coverage.
• 15% Utilizes equipment such as satellite phones, cell phones, PDAs, landlines, laptops, fax machines or modems to transmit news stories or reports from remote locations.
• 10% Serves as community ambassador for the news department. Responds to concerns of viewers. Makes personal appearances on behalf of the station. Attends station sponsored promotion events as scheduled.
• 5% Maintains contacts within business community to report promptly on new or continuing events.
• 5% Provides daily story notes outlining ideas for future stories. Passes along facts uncovered concerning ongoing projects. Provides progress reports on story checks. Shares information relating to upcoming events, meetings or story developments. Presents stories via on air, live from the set, live remotes or live indoor locations.
Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field, or equivalent training and/or experience.
• 2-3 years experience reporting in commercial television station.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must possess advanced understanding of legal and ethical issues impacting journalism.
• Ability to combine words and pictures into informative and interesting news stories.
• Advanced knowledge of the locale, governing bodies, demographics and public figures.
• Ability to shoot stories (P2) and edit stories (Avid).
• Ability to operate live truck.
• Ability to perform quality work in high pressure deadline situations.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must possess valid Driver’s License and meet fleet safety and driver requirements.