Warner Bros. has been entertaining audiences for more than 90 years through the world’s most-loved characters and franchises. Warner Bros. employs people all over the world in a wide variety of disciplines. We're always on the lookout for energetic, creative people to join our team.
Business Unit Overview
The creative team that brought Mortal Kombat and Injustice to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm’s mission remains the same; to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. We encompass the best of both worlds – a team of dedicated professionals with years of experience, who are also at the forefront of an industry taking over the entertainment landscape. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio’s arcade room!
Posting Job Description
What part will you play?
NetherRealm Studios in Chicago seeks a Combat Designer to be responsible for significant contributions to game design, with a focus on combat, moment-to-moment gameplay, and character implementation. Work with the Lead Designer and fellow Designers to design, implement, and maintain combat-centric systems, game balance, and character tuning.
• The Designer is responsible for implementing navigation and combat mechanics, implementing in-game particle effects, and tuning gameplay. Additionally, this position is responsible for generating animation motion capture shot lists and working with the Animation Department to help direct motion capture talent in shoots.
• The position works closely with the Lead Game Designer to ensure that the overall vision is being properly communicated and executed within game.
• Within the studio, the Designer collaborates on design goals with the Lead Designer and the Creative Director. This includes generating game proposals, identifying challenges, and developing strategic responses to market needs.
• Establishes design schedules and creates working design documents.
• Designs and scripts game experiences, including implementation of characters and their navigation, combat movesets, and in-game particle effects.
• Works closely with Animation Department to generate mocap shot lists and help direct mocap performances.
• Creates AI behavior specs.
• Play and evaluate combat constantly over the course of the project, iterating and re-doing work to reach a high degree of polish.
• Analyze and incorporates user feedback from consumer usability tests.
• Works with personnel on R&D efforts for new game systems and creates playable prototypes as required.
• Identifies and establishes required high impact experiences to ensure timely delivery of promotional material.
• Participates in regular, hands on interaction with Team members to ensure that the concepts and content of assigned games meet design requirements.
• Establish and maintain good relationships with all team members and be able to implement solutions to problems in an effective, respectful manner.
• Coordinates and liaises with all necessary departments and divisions to facilitate execution of projects and materials in a professional and client-centric manner. This includes keeping Producer and other Leads apprised of game status.
• Develops strong relationships to establish and maintain a reliable and timely flow of information and materials to all parties as necessary.
What do we require from you?
• B.A. degree preferred or equivalent job experience.
• 3 – 5 years game design experience required.
• Worked on least one title with a strong emphasis in combat design and implementation.
• Passion for action and fighting games with a focus on combat mechanics.
• Programming or scripting experience strongly preferred.
• Direct experience in implementing navigation and/or combat mechanics (with a preference on melee based combat) on at least 1 title.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
• Strong interest in computer and video games.