I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
WHNS-TV, a Meredith Corporation station, is in search of a News Anchor/Reporter for the weekday morning newscast. WHNS is the Fox affiliate in beautiful Greenville, SC (Market #37). The Anchor/Reporter develops newscasts which will attract the largest available audience to the station.This position works with News Director, Assistant News Director, Executive Producer and Producer to create the newscast.The News Anchor/Reporter writes and proofreads scripts each day.The News Anchor/Reporter writes for the website each day, maintains professional social media accounts and posts to the station social media account multiple times per day.In addition, this position covers news in the field, writes stories and shoots/edits stories. Work performed is for all media platforms and initiatives, including for example: on-air, web, digital and social media.
II. Essential Job Functions
• Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
• 60% Anchors newscasts.Writes and proofreads news copy.Works with Producer and Executive Producer to create newscasts, teasers and promotions. Work performed is for all media platforms and initiatives, including for example: on-air, web, digital and social media.
• 20% Covers stories in the field each day. Shoots and edits stories. Reports live. Uses devices including cell phone, PDA, laptop to transmit stories back to the station.
• 10% Posts to website and social media
• 10% Makes personal appearances on behalf of the station.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field, or equivalent training and/or experience.
• 5 years experience as anchor and reporter for commercial/public television.
• Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to blend words and video into interesting and informative television news stories.
• Must possess advanced understanding of legal and ethical issues impacting journalism.
• Must be a skilled communicator with ability to connect with a diverse audience.
• Ability to assimilate information quickly. Ability to compile and summarize information into a clear, concise and understandable presentation.
• Ability to conduct meaningful and interesting interviews.
• Ability to shoot (P2) and edit (non-liner).
• Must possess valid Driver’s License.
• % Travel Required (Approximate): 30%